MEF – Microfinance Enhancement Facility
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targeted
Description of the Project
Initiated in 2009 by KfW, IFC and OeEB, the Microfinance Enhancement Facility (MEF) has been designed to provide a stable and reliable source of regular debt and emergency liquidity funding to microfinance institutions in developing countries. Its blended finance structure, combining public and private investors, has enabled the MEF to help stabilise and further develop microfinance markets with speed and convening power without crowding out much-needed private sector or development finance actors.
Innpact has accompanied the fund initiators through the whole design, set-up and implementation process of the fund. We continue to support the Board of Directors as a General Secretary, as well as the investment managers and the Investment Committee of the Fund, by providing extensive fund management support services.
- Name: Microfinance Enhancement Facility SA, SICAV-SIF
- Inception: 2009
- Initiators: International Finance Corporation, KfW Development Bank
- Investment Advisors: BlueOrchard Finance AG; responsAbility Investments AG; Incofin; Symbiotics SA
- Sector: Microfinance
- Geographic Focus: Worldwide
- Target Financial Intermediaries: Microfinance institutions
- End‐Beneficiaries: Micro enterprises
- Financial Instruments: Short-term senior debt instruments, Senior debt instruments, MFI’s Local debt securities, Liquid assets, Equity in investment vehicles providing currency hedge
- Type: Debt Fund
- Outstanding portfolio: USD 598 million
- Info: www.mef-fund.com
The content of this webpage is for information purposes only and should not be construed and/or considered and/ or taken to constitute advice and/or solicitation of an offer or a recommendation to enter into any transaction or buy or sell any financial instrument or to make any investment and/or as any other investment advice.